Government of India consists of Central Government and State Governments. The Central Government of India consists of more than 18 Apex Offices, 53 Ministries, 2 Independent Departments, 54 Departments and 86 Commissions. There are 36 States / UTs in India, which have corresponding and other independent Apex Bodies, Departments, Boards / Undertakings, Statutory Bodies and Commissions to coordinate with Central Government to jointly undertake delivery of various e-services like Government to Government (G2G), Government to Business (G2B) and Government to Citizen (G2C). The number of eTransactions being delivered by these Government agencies has grown exponentially over the years, reaching more than 48 Cr transactions per month.
These e-services are delivered by various Government Agencies through multiple applications and channels. Most of these e-services delivering applications work in silos and do not provide integrated solutions to the citizens. Thus, it has become imperative to have in place an interoperable ecosystem of data, applications and processes which will make appropriate information available to the right user at the right time. Interoperability among various e-Governance systems is an important prerequisite for upgrading the quality and effectiveness of service delivery. It is also required in order to facilitate the single window concept of electronic services delivery by Government organizations.
In order to facilitate the above, an enabling Policy Framework consisting of "Policy on Open Standards for e-Governance”, “Technical Standards on Interoperability Framework for e-Governance” and “Policy on Open APIs for Government of India”.Implementation of the API Gateway shall provide an enabling platform for proactive and open access to the data generated by various ministries/departments/organizations of Government of India. This platform shall provide means for API repository, API Lifecycle Management and collaboration while sharing data responsibly, reliably and securely.
Objectives of policy framework are:
- To setup an ecosystem for publishing of APIs by all Government organisations for all eGovernance applications and systems.
- To enable quick and transparent software integration with e-Governance applications and systems.
- To enable API first approach, enabling an ecosystem of micro-services and related cost savings
- To promote safe and reliable information and data sharing across various e-Governance applications and systems.
- To expedite innovation by means of data availability to the Industry and public, from eGovernance applications and systems
- Provide enabling environment to Government organizations to develop, publish and implement Open APIs.
NeGD along with Security Partner Standardisation Testing and Quality Certification (STQC), MeitY proposes to develop an API gateway to realize the above objectives.