DigiLocker is steadily transforming India into a digitally empowered society
DigiLocker has striven to provide critical Identity, educational, transport, financial and municipal documents to the citizen in the form of a digital wallet. This massive exercise in liaising with issuers and helping digitize their documents and finally delivering these digital documents to the citizen has resulted in availability of over 410 Crore authentic digital documents. There have been many challenges but DigiLocker team has helped in bringing about a few policy and implementation level transformations via changes in governing rules for ministries as well as updates to their standard operating procedures. Some of these includes:
- Ministry of Electronics & IT - the Information Technology (Preservation and Retention of Information by Intermediaries Providing Digital Locker Facilities) Rules, 2016 notified under IT Act 2000 in July 2016.
- Ministry of Road Transport & Highways: Notification for acceptance of digital DL, RC, Aug 2018.
- Ministry of Finance – Acceptance of e-Documents from DigiLocker as part of Prevention of Money-laundering (Maintenance of Records) Third Amendment Rules, 2019
- Ministry of HRD (Ministry of Education) – DigiLocker notified as sole National Academic Depository (NAD) for digital academic awards management on 18 March 2020.
- RBI Master Master Direction on KYC – Inclusion of DigiLocker issued documents as part of customer KYC in Jan 2020.
- SEBI Circular for KYC – DigiLocker documents accepted as part account opening process in April 2020.
DigiLocker has made available 32 crore digital driving licenses and vehicle registrations to the citizens. Over 410 crore authentic documents including Aadhaar, PAN, LPG Subscription Vouchers, Educational Certificates, Income Certificates, Birth Certificates, Caste certificates have been made available through DigiLocker. CBSE has now made over 17 crore certificates of class X and XII students from 2004 available in DigiLocker. Maharashtra State Education Board has issued over 12 crore digital certificates from 1990 onwards. Students can use these digital mark sheets and certificates in online application process. These certificates can be verified electronically and the delays in admission process due to physical verification can be eliminated. With the latest developments CBSE Class X and XII marksheets, Migration and Passing certificates are made available instantly after result declarations. Citizens can now apply for a PAN card and provide supporting documents from DigiLocker. Government eMarketplace (GeM) now allows the sellers to provide supporting documents from DigiLocker. Many Fintec companies have started accepting identity documents through citizens’ digilocker account thus eliminating long cycles of account opening. Many startups including NoPaperForms, is providing a digital enrolment platform to academic institutions for introducing paperless application process using DigiLocker. Companies like Indiabulls Housing Finance Limited, Whatsloan.com, Bajaj Allianz General Insurance Company Limited, Funds Tiger, Zerodha, BankBazaar have turned to DigiLocker for accepting authentic documents required for loan, Demat account and insurance applications. This is just a beginning of an era of faceless and contactless service delivery. DigiLocker is continuously evolving with the aim to enable speedy delivery of government services. It is being adopted in innovative ways to make citizens lives hassle free.