The Digital India Corporation (formerly Media Lab Asia) has been set up by the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY), Government of India, to innovate, develop and deploy ICT and other emerging technologies for the benefit of the common man. Digital India Corporation plays the role of a leader in promoting e-Governance by taking forward the projects and activities of Digital India Programme, to facilitate its stakeholders to realise its goals. It also provides strategic support to Ministries & Departments, both at Central and State level for carrying forward the mission of Digital India Programme by way of Capacity Building for e-Governance projects, promoting best practises, encouraging Public-Private Partnerships (PPP), nurturing innovation and technology in various domains.
Digital India Corporation entails following responsibilities:
- To provide leadership and support to Government of India through MeitY; to steer and anchor the Digital India Programme alomg with related policy and implementation initiatives.
- To support MeitY with regards to policy and implementation related issues concerning various ongoing programmes & schemes in the ICT domain as well as new initiatives undertaken as part of the Digital India Programme.
- To support Ministries/Departments, both at Centre and States, as well as other stakeholders in crafting e-Governance strategies, to further promote Accountability, Efficiency, Efficacy and Transparency.
- To source talent and resources both from the market as well as within Government in ICT domain to Ministries/ Deptts on chargeable basis under Central & State Government; a talent pool of technically skilled manpower for hardware, software, networks, cyber security and laws, standards, quality and testing, etc
- To promote innovation and evolve models for empowerment of citizens and also to promote participatory governance and citizen engagement across the government through various platforms including social media.