As part of NeGP approval, the Union Cabinet assigned some key tasks associated with Programme Management of NeGP to Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY) including arrangements for monitoring and coordinating & implementation of NeGP, evolving Standards and policy guidelines, providing technical and handholding support, undertaking Capacity Building, R&D, etc.
Since implementation of NeGP entailed enhanced responsibilities for MeitY, it was proposed that a suitable institutional mechanism be devised to enable Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology to engage competent resources from the open market as well as within the Government.
NeGD was accordingly created in 2009 an Independent Business Division (IBD) within Media Lab Asia (MLAsia) (a Section 8 Company under MeitY) with the following features:
- NeGD is an Independent Business Division (IBD) within MLAsia to undertake Programme Management of NeGP.
- This Division enjoys complete financial and HR autonomy from the rest of MLAsia.
- Government personnel in NeGD are taken on deputation to MLAsia.
- NeGD has its own head as President and CEO.
- The selection process for both Government and private sector personnel is common for ensuring uniform quality and suitability of personnel.
- Government funds for managing specific e-Governance projects/programmes as identified by MeitY are transferred directly to the Division, subject to extant rules in this regard.