DigiLocker is a flagship initiative of Ministry of Electronics & IT (MeitY) under Digital India programme. DigiLocker aims at ‘Digital Empowerment’ of citizens by providing access to authentic digital documents to citizen’s digital document wallet. DigiLocker aims to provide a Digital wallet to every citizen so that all the documents can be made available electronically at one place and can be accessed from anywhere anytime.Targeted at the idea of paperless governance, DigiLocker is a platform for issuance and verification of documents & certificates in a digital way, thus eliminating the use of physical documents. The issued documents in DigiLocker system are deemed to be at par with original physical documents as per Rule 9A of the Information Technology (Preservation and Retention of Information by Intermediaries providing Digital Locker facilities) Rules, 2016 notified on February 8, 2017 vide G.S.R. 711(E).
Benefits of DigiLocker:
Benefits to Citizens
- Important Documents Anytime, Anywhere!
- Authentic Documents, Legally at Par with Originals.
- Digital Document Exchange with the consent of the citizen.
- Faster service Delivery- Government Benefits, Employment, Financial Inclusion, Education, Health.
Benefits to Agencies
- Reduced Administrative Overhead: Aimed at the concept of paperless governance. It reduces the administrative overhead by minimizing the use of paper and curtailing the verification process.
- Digital Transformation: Provides trusted issued documents. Issued Documents available via DigiLocker are fetched in real-time directly from the issuing agency.
- Secure Document Gateway: Acts as a secure document exchange platform like payment gateway between trusted issuer and trusted Requester/Verifier with the consent of the citizen.
- Real Time Verification: Provides a verification module enabling government agencies to verify data directly from issuers after obtaining user consent.
Special features and achievements under DigiLocker:
- Overall more than 410 Cr documents have been made available to the citizens.
- DigiLocker like platforms can serve as boon during any catastrophic situations. A successful example was shown in case of Kerala Flood wherein IT department provided digital certificates to Kerala residents during Floods.
- More than 35 Cr Educational Documents are made available to Students across various state and central boards.
- Digital DL/RC is made available to the citizens and a notification was issued by Transport department for the acceptance of such documents by enforcement authorities.
- Identity documents through DigiLocker are now accepted at airports, railways and on roads.
Target and Current Status of Implementation:
|S. No.||Components||Achieved (as on 25th December, 2020)|
|i.||Registered Users||5.15 crore|
|ii.||Issued Authentic Documents||4.26 crore|