National e-Governance Division
National e-Governance Division (NeGD) is an Independent Business Division (IBD) created under the aegis of Department of Electronics and Information Technology, Ministry of Telecommunication of Information and Technology (MoCIT). NeGD takes care of the Programme Management aspects of Government of India envisioned National e-Governance Plan (NeGP) by undertaking various activities including project/ scheme based implementation.
Role and responsibilities of NeGD:
Programme Management of NeGP including facilitating and supporting DeitY in:
- NeGP implementation by various Ministries and State Governments.
- Provide technical assistance to Central Ministries/ State Line Departments.
- Supporting DeitY in developing standards and guidelines on technological matters related to e-Governance including security and strategic control framework for the e-Governance initiatives and its adherence.
- Framing core policies, technical assistance, R&D, guidelines on Government Process Reengineering (GPR) and creation of organization structures.
- Undertaking technical appraisal of e-Governance projects through DPR/ RFP/CNE/Cabinet Note/EFC on various aspects like overall technology architecture, implementation framework, standards, security policy, service delivery mechanism, sharing of common infrastructure etc.
- Monitoring & Evaluation – Project Monitoring Framework for MMPs through PMIS, Monitor the progress data on MMPs and other e-Governance project initiatives, Impact Assessment, etc.
- World Bank Projects – Acts as a nodal link for project appraisal and its sanction, formulation of implementation guidelines, dedicated PMU establishment and project overseeing, processing of funding proposals etc.
- Finance and Accounts – Preparation of financials, appraisal of projects for financial viability
- Serving as a Secretariat to the Apex Committee.
- Human Resource Development, Training and Awareness Building
NeGD is also the Central Agency for implementation of Capacity Building Scheme through establishment of an institutional framework for State-Level decision-making, including setting-up of State e-Mission Teams (SeMTs) having relevant expertise and experience to provide technical and professional support to States and Union Territories. The following activities are being carried out by NeGD.
- Provisioning of manpower at various SeMTs across States/ UTs.
- Positioning of a Capacity Building Management Cell for effective management of manpower at SeMTs together with management of other Scheme activities including trainings, setting up HR policies, framing guidelines etc.
- It has also been supporting DeitY in the coordination of Digital India initiative.