The Indian Government consists of the Central Government and State Governments. The Central Government of India consists of more than 18 Apex Offices, 53 Ministries, 2 Independent departments, 54 Departments and 86 Commissions. There are 36 States / UTs in India, which have corresponding and other independent Apex Bodies, Departments, Boards / Undertakings, Statutory Bodies and Commissions which coordinate with the Central Government to together undertake delivery of Government to Government (G2G), Government to Business (G2B) and Government to Citizen (G2C) eServices. The number of eTransactions being delivered by these Government agencies has grown exponentially over the years, reaching more than 48 Cr transactions per month.
These eServices are delivered by various Government Agencies through multiple applications and channels. Most of these eService delivering applications work in silos and do not provide integrated solutions to the citizen. Thus a need for an interoperable ecosystem of data, applications and processes has been felt which will make the right information available to the right user at the right time. Interoperability among various e-Governance systems is an important prerequisite for upgrading the quality and effectiveness of service delivery. It is also required in order to facilitate the single window concept of electronic services delivery by Government organizations. In order to facilitate the above an enabling policy framework consisting of "Policy on Open Standards for e-Governance”, “Technical Standards on Interoperability Framework for e-Governance” and “Policy on Open APIs for Government of India”.
Implementation of the API Gateway shall provide an enabling platform for proactive and open access to the data generated by various ministries/departments/organizations of Government of India. This platform shall provide means for API repository, API lifecycle management and collaboration while sharing data responsibly, reliably and securely.
The objectives of this policy are to:
- To setup an ecosystem for publishing of APIs by all Government organisations for all eGovernance applications and systems.
- To enable quick and transparent software integration with other e-Governance applications and systems.
- To enable API first approach, enabling an ecosystem of micro-services and related cost savings
- To enable and promote safe and reliable sharing of information and data across various e-Governance applications and systems.
- Promote and expedite innovation through the availability of data from eGovernance applications and systems to the industry and public.
- Provide enabling environment to Government organizations in developing, publishing and implementation using these Open APIs.
NeGD along with security partner STQC proposes to develop an API gateway, to realize the above objectives.