A digital wallet for citizens! DigiLocker system is a flagship initiative of Ministry of Electronics & IT under Digital India Programme. Targeted at the idea of paperless governance, DigiLocker aims to provide a digital wallet to every citizen of the country so that all lifelong documents/certificates can be electronically held under a single secure digital wallet.
Targeted at the idea of paperless governance, DigiLocker is a platform for issuance and verification of documents & certificates in a digital way, thus eliminating the use of physical documents. Indian citizens who sign up for a DigiLocker account get a dedicated cloud storage space that is linked to their Aadhaar (UIDAI) number. DigiLocker aims to provide a Digital wallet to every citizen so that all the documents can be made available electronically at one place and can be accessed from anywhere anytime.
Benefits of DigiLocker:
- Anytime, anywhere and convenient access to all important documents of Indian residents
- No risk of losing, spoiling, damaging the certificates/documents.
- DigiLocker helps to eliminate physical presence of citizens as well as helps in quick & reliable verification of the documents to avail higher studies, employment and other services provided by Government/private agencies.
- No Cost to the any organization for issuance of Digital Certificates.
- Expedite the document verification process by providing single window access to authentic documents
- Eliminate fake and forged paper certificates.
- Easy sharing of documents across departments and agencies
- Authentic documents, Legally at Par with Originals documents
- All document access and sharing upon citizen consent basis
Special features and achievements under DigiLocker:
- Overall 350 Cr documents have been made available to the citizens
- DigiLocker in cooperation with Kerala IT department provided digital certificates to Kerala residents during Floods.
- More than 30 Cr Educational Documents are made available to Students across various state and central boards.
- Digital DL/RC is made available to the citizens and a notification was issued by Transport department for the acceptance of such documents by enforcement authorities.
- More than 10 Cr e-District documents (Income, Caste, Birth and others) are available in DigiLocker
- Identity documents through DigiLocker is now accepted at airports, railways and on roads.
Target and Current Status of Implementation:
|S. No.||Components||Achieved (@31 March 2019)|
|i.||Registered Users||2.05 Cr.|
|ii.||Digitally Available Documents||350 Cr.|
|iii.||Uploaded Documents||2.55 Cr.|