About Capacity Building Scheme
The Digital India vision provides the intensified impetus for momentum and progress for e-Governance initiatives and this would promote inclusive growth that covers electronic services, products, devices, manufacturing and job opportunities. India in the 21st Century must strive to meet the aspirations of its citizens where government and its services reach the doorsteps of citizens and contribute towards a long-lasting positive impact.
To meet this vision, it is required to build adequate and relevant capacities at all levels. People, who are expected to design and deliver projects under Digital India, need to be trained in relevant areas. Capacity Building Scheme (CB Scheme) is an initiative towards this objective. Capacity Building Scheme, (CB Scheme Phase I) was approved by the Government in 2008 for taking National e-Governance Plan (NeGP) forward across the country in all the States and Union Territories. Capacity Building Phase II under Digital India is a continuation of Phase I with added focus on Central Line Ministries.
The Capacity Building Scheme Envisions the Following:
The objective of the scheme Phase II is to provide professional resources and training to political and policy level decision makers for all States/UTs/ Central Line Ministries to build the in-house capacity for implementation of various e-Governance initiatives.
- Establishment of an institutional framework for State Level Strategic decision- making including setting-up of State e-Governance Mission Team (SeMT) having relevant expertise and experience to provide technical & professional support.
- Imparting specialized training for State/UTs and Central Line Ministries, Orientation program for SeMTs and apex level programmes for decision makers (state legislature and senior bureaucrats), knowledge sharing and bringing in international best practices.
- Strengthening of Training Institutions in States.
Major components of the CB Scheme Phase II:
- Recruitment, deployment and HR management of the 340 specialized resources in the SeMTs in all States and UTs.
- Training and development initiatives, including, inter alia,
- Development of competency frameworks, training guidelines, content, case studies etc for different groups of stakeholders
- Developing a pool of certified trainers
- Develop Online and Web Based Training and set up Learning Management System
- Certification programmes for specialized/key roles
- Knowledge management and sharing through workshops, development of case studies, sharing best practices and creation of knowledge repositories etc.
Implementation of CB II:
The project implementation is entrusted to NeGD. At the Policy level NeGD would be guided by MeitY and the Empowered Committee under the Chairmanship of Secretary (MeitY), who will mentor and monitor the initiative. At the State/UT level, Secretary of the respective State IT Deptt. (or any other department nominated by the State government) and the State Nodal Agency will be responsible for implementing the proposed Capacity Building scheme Phase II.
In order to meet the skills requirement across Central and State governments, a strong focus is require to put in place a mechanism using technology (Learning & Knowledge Management systems) and competency based skill building (e-Governance Competency Framework) and leverage industry & academia partnerships to design and deliver trainings. NeGD as the central coordinating agency at the national level is working with this vision to meet the objective.