History of NeGD:
The National e-Governance Plan (NeGP) was approved by the Government in May 2006, with the following vision:
“Make all Government Services accessible to the common man in his locality, through common service delivery outlets and ensure efficiency, transparency and reliability of such services at affordable costs to realise the basic needs of the common man”.
As part of NeGP approval, the Union Cabinet assigned some key tasks associated with Programme Management of NeGP to Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY) including arrangements for monitoring and coordinating implementation of NeGP, evolving standards and policy guidelines, providing technical and handholding support, undertaking Capacity Building, R&D, etc.
The Capacity Building Scheme under the National e-Governance Plan (NeGP) also envisions establishment of an institutional framework for state-level decision-making including setting-up of State e-Mission Teams (SeMTs) having relevant expertise and experience to provide technical and professional support to States and Union Territories.
Since implementation of NeGP entailed enhanced responsibilities for MeitY, it was proposed that a suitable institutional mechanism be devised to enable Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology to engage competent resources from the open market as well as within the Government.
NeGD was accordingly created by MeitY in 2009 as an Independent Business Division (IBD) within Media Lab Asia (MLAsia) (a Section 8 Company under Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology).
Immediate tasks for NeGD include the following:
- Programme Management of NeGP, inter-alia including facilitating and supporting DIT in undertaking the following tasks and responsibilities assigned to MeitY under NeGP.
- Facilitating implementation of NeGP by various Ministries and State Governments.
- Providing technical assistance to Central Ministries and State Line Departments.
- Serving as a secretariat to the Apex Committee.
- Undertaking technical appraisal of all NeGP projects to examine issues such as overall technology architecture, framework, standards, security policy, service delivery mechanism, sharing of common infrastructure etc.
- Human Resource Development, Training and Awareness Building.
- Framing core policies, technical assistance, R&D, awareness and assessment and creation of organization structure.>
- Acting as a Central Agency for an effective implementation of Capacity Building Scheme inter-alia involving provisioning of manpower at various SeMTs across States/ UTs.
- Positioning of a Capacity Building Management Cell for effective management of manpower at SeMTs together with management of other Scheme activities including training, setting up HR policies, etc.
Present Status:NeGD is an Independent Business Division (IBD) established by MeitY within MLAsia to undertake Programme Management of NeGP, having the following features:
- This Division enjoys complete financial and HR autonomy from the rest of MLAsia.
- Government personnel in NeGD are taken on deputation to MLAsia.
- NeGD has its own head as President and CEO.
- The selection process for both Government and private sector personnel is common for ensuring uniform quality and suitability of personnel.
- Government funds for managing specific e-Governance projects/programmes as identified by MeitY are transferred directly to the Division, subject to extant rules in this regard.
NeGD acts as one of the key catalysts and integrators for initiatives under Mission Mode Projects and support components under NeGP 2.0 across the country. NeGD is also expected to proactively support central ministries / departments / state governments in propagation of their e-Governance initiatives.